Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Some Days It Ain't Sunny...


On Monday, April 7th of 2008, Joseph Edward Jones, my Grandfather, passed away from pancreatic and liver cancer. Granddaddy Eddie (as I called him) had a profound influence on my life and played a major role in helping me become the man I am today. I will always remember one particular event that turned my life around:

Soon after my parents divorced, I went to visit my Grandparents down in Tarpon Springs, FL...I took the split very hard. Needless to say, my Grandparents weren't too happy with my attitude around the house. I huffed and puffed about every little chore I was asked to do and had a horrible overall disposition. So finally, my Granddad had enough. As we were outside doing some yard work, my Granddad looked at me and said, "Lance, you know you have a PPA." I asked him what that was and he replied, "A Piss Poor Attitude!". I looked at him, thought about it for a bit, and finally realized he was completely right. I was a changed kid.

That's the type of man my Granddad was. He wasn't afraid to tell it like it is and let you have it when you needed it. I cherished every minute of the time I spent with him and I loved him with all of my heart.

Thanks for always being there for me, Granddad...I miss you.

No comments: