Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Random Thoughts and Meanderings...

Thoughts post 1 Pinot Noir, some good conversation and some alone time...it's rambling time. Everything I'm about to write is completely unplanned and unedited. Apologies for either not making sense or being too brutally honest.

A friend told me today that he thinks life is transient up until you settle down, get married and pop out a few children. I admit being a bit depressed when confronted with his assertion and as a result, I continue to think about my life's transiency even now as I type. I look back at the past decade and yes, it has absolutely flown by. The sojourn that was my teenage years was followed by my early 20s, which has both dragged on at a Billy Madison-esque reading level and flown by at Mach 3. =But what knowledge can I glean from these years? It's hard to take one specific thing away from them, but I feel as if I learned something. But what?

At times, I think that something is an ever-growing knowledge of self. Deep introspection can be a very difficult thing if you aren't willing to be completely honest with yourself. It can be especially difficult if you don't like something about the person you find inside of you. A few years back I found something within myself that I did not like and my response was to try and drown him away with Jack Daniels. Not the best course of action, but at that time I was unequivocally not strong enough to deal with any level of negative self knowledge. How have things changed since then? Another difficult question...I tend to believe that the hard times tested me in such a way that I came out through the storm a far better man. And on that note, I'm spent...

3 comments:

Matty said...

I agree young squire. True Intrsopection is a difficult intersection for anybody come to. The moment that you decide to pick your head up and look in the mirror is arguably one of the most pivotal moments in a person's life... and I mean the real mirror; not the one that tells you how wrinkled your shirt is and that you should wipe the snot crispies out of your eyes before you go on your date. That moment is more satisfying that sexual pleasure and simultaneously more nerve wrecking than watching childbirth. Its the moment when yourself gets to introduce yourself to yourself and you find out that yourself is either a much greater person than you thought... or not (not being the case more often). But what people fail to realize is that the most important and intimidating part of looking inward is the immediate action that follows... will you have the courage to change your swagger if the mirror tells you it aint all good?

Pimpin.

The 2nd Black President said...

Well written and well said. I couldn't agree more. The tough part is making that change. Took the 2nd Black President a while, but he did it...

Anonymous said...

Damn....so true...It's hard to look into the mirror. sometimes.